Monday, May 12, 2014

Our Topic is Blood in the Water.

May 12, 2014

...and with that submission my freshman year is over.

Being a senior in high school, I wouldn't have guessed being a fashion major would involve me writing about superheroes and the concept of "who cares who watches the watchmen?" but here I am, submitting my final assignment of the year on just that.

I went into Lasell College with dreams of being the real life Rachel Green and being a glamorous fashion buyer for Bloomingdales (though the place really never mattered much for me.)  I'm coming out of my freshman year knowing that being a buyer isn't as glamorous as Miss Green made it look.  I know it involves being lower on the food chain and that to even get that position, you start off as an assistant buyer. The assistant is the smallest guppy in a pool of sharks.  If you've ever seen "The Devil Wears Prada," I'd say the assistant is like Anne Hathaway.  I know that once the guppy eats her wheaties and becomes a bigger guppy (the buyer), that they still have to listen to a few sharks tell them which way to swim.  Though the guppy gets to swim the big ocean and see how cute the dolphin looks in Prada's fall line, don't except to see more than the reef in front of you.  A buyer doesn't get to see the fabulous places she is sent to often, because she is a busy busy fishy.  Welcome to business I suppose.

I'm a sophomore now. I know I sound like a pessimist on my choice of major, but I love what I'm doing.  I love business.  I want to rule the world in three-inch heels.  I'll be the guppy that turns into the shark. Though I now know that maybe the buying world isn't for me, I know the world of fashion merchandising is vast and that visual merchandising might be the peanut butter to my jelly.  One day, you'll see a window at Christmas time in NYC that was designed by Lea Riccio.  Just give it a few years, I've got a lot of swimming to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment