Sunday, June 1, 2014

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I was originally going to write about food because well, I'm Italian and I deem food very important, but my conversation with my mother and my sister this morning is inspiring me to write about one of my favorite topics in the world, 80's movies.  People may argue 80's isn't a genre, but how else am I going to classify lawnmower rides, ridiculous adventures, and even more ridiculous romances?  I cannot get enough.  Here's three of my favorites.

1. The Breakfast Club
(1985)
Now, this is an obvious favorite.  It's hard not to love this cast of clowns.  This movie has a bit everything, comedy, romance, adventure, and it even gets heartfelt.  No matter who you are, you can relate to at least one character in this movie.  The Breakfast Club is what we all wished detention could be.  In reality, detention was the place you never wanted to find yourself.
 "Saturday, March 24,1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062. Dear Mr. Vernon, We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club."

2. The Goonies
(1985)
Now, this is my childhood favorite.  The Goonies embodied the thrill and adventure we all wanted growing up.  We've all experience moving, or having our best friends move away when we were children.  Wouldn't you have wanted one last thrill with your buddies before they left?  Especially if that thrill can keep your friends in town.  With a real gang of goons, they made being an outcast a cool thing.  This movie proved that you can conquer anything as long as you had good friends by your side.
"OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life."

3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
(1986)
My all time favorite movie of all time.  There is a Ferris Bueller in every high school around America.  He was the guy that everyone wanted to be friends with.  The girls wanted to date him, the teachers couldn't help but chuckle at him, and he was the apple of his parents eyes.  He got along with the outcasts, popular kids, stoners, and jocks.  He was an adventurer and lived life in the moment.  He's the friend that got you out of bed and is the reason you have all the stories to tell your future kids.  With silliness and a wild goose chase, this movie was lighthearted and absolutely ridiculous...everything an 80's movie should be.
"Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Much Love,
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment