Wednesday, June 4, 2014

That Time I Tried To Hike

For a few years now I have seen so many of my Facebook friends posting pictures of them hiking and I have always wanted to do it. This summer I decided that I needed to do it before starting my sophomore year of college. So on Monday morning I grabbed my EF Tours backpack, that hasn't been used since coming home from Europe two years ago, got in my car and made the 90 minute drive to Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey, New Hampshire.

I went with one of my best friends and let me tell you, WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE IN FOR.

I was stupid enough to assume that this hike would be mostly walking on a trail, which would be challenging in it's own way, but not nearly as challenging as the real hike actually was.

Keep in mind that I am not and have never been an outdoorsy kind of girl so this was totally out of my comfort zone to begin with. When we first got there we were told that we needed about 3-4 hours total to go up and down the mountain so how hard could it be? I mean everyone always looks so happy in pictures on Facebook it couldn't be that bad right?

Ha Ha Ha. Well lets just say it took us 3 hours to get to the top. It started out as a trail but then it quickly became 95% very very steep rock that we were not prepared for. We had to stop many times just to say what the hell are we doing and drink lots of water and we almost quit many many times but we didn't. We kept pushing ourselves and somehow kept a positive attitude while being passed by at lest 5 elderly couples on the way up.



When we got to the top I was so proud of myself. I was sunburned, sore and aggravated with the whole situation but I was mostly proud that I actually made it to the top. The view was beautiful but we only sat up there for 10-20 minutes due to the amount of beetles clinging to our clothes.


Then we started out decent.

This was the WORST part. I was already in pain and basically done with the whole hiking thing. The trail that we were told to take on the way down was less steep but it had small unavoidable waterfalls and slippery uneven rocks. I fell twice and was constantly checking my Map My Run app to see how close we were to the end.  After almost 3 hours of limping our way down we finally made it back to my car where I seriously almost cried tears of joy just to be sitting down.

My entire body is still sore and stairs have not been my friend for the last few days. Yes I am happy that I did it and I didn't quit, but I promise you that I will never EVER do that again. Hiking is fun for some people but I found out that hard way that it is not my thing at all.

At least I can cross it off my bucket list!


That's all I have for today, sorry this went up so late! I'll be back on Friday to talk about Maleficent! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment