Saturday, June 21, 2014

Why Fall Out Boy?

In light of my concert going this evening, I decided to address a question I've been asked many times over the years; why Fall Out Boy? 

Skate and Surf Festival, Six Flags NJ 2013
LONG LIVE THE CAR CRASH HEARTS

Fall Out Boy is one of my favorite bands of all time. Forming in 2001, they played a bunch of small gigs with their first album, Take This To Your Grave. To this day, they still close with Saturday which is on this debut album. The band originating from Chicago gained most of their popularity during the era of their second album, From Under The Cork Tree. With hits like Sugar We're Going Down, Dance Dance, and A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me, it's impossible not to love this album.  I remember listening to this album with my cousin and being very oblivious to what the lyrics really meant. Growing up is a marvelous thing, isn't it?

(from left to right)
Pete Wentz (bass), Joe Trohman (guitar), Patrick Stump (vocals), Andy Hurley (drums)
After the making of both Infinity on High and Folie a Deux, the band went on an indefinite hiatus, breaking my heart and the hearts of fans every where. Prior to the hiatus, the band had many great hits including Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, I Don't Care, This Ain't a Scene, etc. Fans everywhere were identifying with the lyrics "Long live the car crash hearts" and feeling like I Don't Care on the outside and What a Catch on the inside. Fall Out Boy is one of the most diverse lyrically that I have ever heard.

From "Dance, Dance."
The four years the band was on hiatus I like to refer to as "the dark years." Loyal fans still listened and hoped that one day the band would reunite. Honestly, during this time is when I really began to fall in love with Fall Out Boy. I followed their lives without the band and cringed every time they denied a reunion. It stung every time they would. However, I remained hopeful. They were too important to me. I remember one of my exes hating the band so much that I refused to speak to him when he would "diss" the band. I couldn't resist feeling a bit irrational. Good thing he realized this early on and he even bought me a FOB shirt he found at a thrift shop. Guess he had it bad for me, huh?

From the "Save Rock and Roll Tour"
Well, that relationship ended and a new one started to form. What did it form over? A mutual bond over a common workplace, a love for slushies, and Fall Out Boy. At this point, the band hadn't made a comeback yet. I remember joking around with friends over Taylor Swift's hit at the time We are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together was about the Fall Out Boy hiatus. I mean afterall, Swift is a big FOB fan. February 4th is the day that everything changed. It was the day after the super bowl and nothing exciting was happening. It was an average Monday morning at Foran High School and I was attending class like any other day.  Said boy texted me asking me if I had been online. It was 9:00 am. I obviously hadn't considering I didn't have a smart phone at this time. He sent me a screen shot of Pete's tweet with the link. I went to my nearest computer and went into overdrive mood. I was beyond excited and didn't know what to do with myself. I did everything I could in the middle of class to listen to My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark and succeeded. I ran around all day with a smile on my face. I told all my FOB loving friends the good news and we desperately attempted to get tickets for their NYC show the day after (and failed but still). That same day my marketing teacher happened to ask how much money we would spend on concert tickets. My immediate response? That limit does not exist.

Young Volcanoes
That same night of February 4th that boy asked me to be his girlfriend because it was just fitting. I said yes. Since then we broke up, but it was time with him I do not regret. I got to see FOB for the first time at Skate and Surf Festival with the boy, and three of my best friends. To this day, that concert was one of the best days of my life. I luckily got to attend the Save Rock and Roll Tour twice. FOB played with my other favorite, Panic! at the Disco in an event that I couldn't handle. It was world changing for me. Fall Out Boy puts on one of the best shows I have ever seen. Their songs are impossible to not identify with. Their personalities are likable and they are down to earth, funny guys. This band has done so much for me and has changed me for the better. If I'm sad, Fall Out Boy is there. If I am in a good mood, Fall Out Boy is there. Narcissistic? Yup, they got a song for that too. I can't help but still get excited to see them tonight, though this will be my fourth time seeing them since the hiatus ended a year and a half ago. They appreciate the fans even though there are so many. They took time to themselves to build, and now there is no stopping them. I'm sorry to go on, but they truly deserve all the love and recognition they are getting.

So why Fall Out Boy? 
Even when on hiatus, there has never been a day when Fall Out Boy wasn't there for me.

BELIEVERS NEVER DIE

Much love,
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment