Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Why The Fault In Our Stars Is So Important To Me

~ Fair warning that this post was written very late last night as soon as I got home from the movie, I was still really emotional so this may not be my best writing. ~

A few years ago, two of my friends made me read a book. That book was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, a guy I would watch on YouTube. I had no idea what this book was about, and I certainly did not know what that book would mean to me today.

Unless you live under a rock, you should know by now that The Fault In Our Stars is the love story of two teen cancer patients. It is one of the most beautiful, smart, funny and sad books that I have ever read in my life. I laughed, and mostly cried but I also understood.

For as long as I can remember, my mom has been telling me about her childhood best friend Michael. Michael was 12 years old when he lost his battle with leukemia and although I obviously never met him, I feel like I have through the stories my mom always tells me about him. Growing up however, I never really understood what it must have been like for my mom to be so young and have to deal with the loss of someone she was so close with. When reading The Fault In Our Stars, I understood. It sounds so dumb but I felt a connection to her when reading it. Although my mom and Michael were not "in love" like Hazel and Gus, they were best friends and partners in crime like Gus and Issac. While reading I found myself not only crying over fictional characters, but also because I finally felt like I understood at least some of what my mom had gone through and is still going through every now and then.

 In the book they talk a lot about being remembered and Michael is the perfect example of what Hazel and Gus discuss in the park. He is always remembered in my family, even I "remember" him and he passed away years and years before I was even a thought.

The one problem with this whole situation for me, is that my mom will never read the book or see the movie. Part of me wants her to read it because I felt such a connection to her and because it is just a great book. But I also know how hard it would be for her and I don't want to make her upset. I don't even want her to read this post.

I'm not even sure how to end this other than saying that this book and movie will always be special to me and everyone needs to read and go see it.

Thank you John Green for being you and always writing amazing stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment