Tuesday, August 26, 2014

To Incoming Freshman


Hello class of 2018!
Congrats on making it out of high school and surviving a summer of goodbyes and dorm shopping! I'm sure most of you are coming very close to your move in day (if it hasn't already passed) and I know that around this time last year I was kinda freaking out. That being said, I want to give you some advice that I wish I was given before moving into college.

  • Participate participate participate. Go to on campus events (especially welcome weekend ones), join clubs or organizations or start one yourself!
  • Don't go home. For the first month I was at school I wasn't allowed to come home and I'm so glad my parents made that rule because it was in those first few awkward weekends where I made amazing friends that I wouldn't have met if i went home every weekend. 
  • If you don't meet your best friend in the first week it's okay. 
  • If you aren't best friends with your roommate at first it's okay. 
  • You don't have to go out every weekend!
  • Never underestimate the importance of a good movie night.
  • Find a place on campus to study and fall in love with it because you do actually have to do work in college.
  • Go to class. Skipping classes is so easy when your mom isn't forcing you out the door but it will hurt you more than that extra hour of sleep will help you.
  • The freshman 15 is a very real thing.
  • Yoga pants are the ultimate frenimy. Obviously they are comfier than jeans and a whole lot easier to put on when you're half asleep before an 8AM but they also stretch without you noticing and before you know it you wont be able to fit into the jeans you bought in September.  
  • College is where you find your bridesmaids not necessarily your husband. 
  • Dining hall food is not the only food - but neither is late night take out.
  • Do your laundry and don't wait until you have nothing clean to wear.
Freshman year is not easy but it will be one of the best years ever, only if you make it what you want it to be. If you want to go out all the time do that, if you want to have movie nights do that! Don't go into college thinking that it's going to be like it is in the movies. In college you have a clean slate after being stuck in high school with all of the same people and that to me is the best part. Have fun and study hard!



No comments:

Post a Comment