Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Joan Rivers




















This post is coming to you a bit late because I honestly wasn't emotionally ready to write it. If you have no idea what I'm referring to, let me explain. On Thursday of last week, the world lost one it's leading ladies in comedy and entertainment. My idol, Joan Rivers, passed away on September 4th, 2014 after going into cardiac arrest during a throat procedure.

Joan Rivers had a career that spanned over four decades. She was an entrepreneur for ladies in comedy.  She was the first lady to be on late night, and oh dear lord did she get shit for it.  The men of late night were absolutely terrible to her, but she trudged forward.



You see, people saw Joan Rivers as a type of bully figure. She made fun of everyone. She called people fat, whores, ugly, what-have-you, and seemed to have no shame about it.  Joan's philosophy was if it made her laugh, then it was okay to say. This isn't a bad way to live your life.

One of the reasons why we love Joan Rivers is because of the way she makes fun of people. Her critiques are generally what people are thinking, but are too afraid to say out loud.  Honestly, one of my favorite things about her was that she didn't just make fun of other celebrities, she was also one to mock herself. She often poked upon the fact that she has had countless plastic surgeries, which she is often ridiculed for.


I think the number one reason I love her is because she inspired me to join the fashion industry. Watching Fashion Police and realizing that there are jobs out there where you can sit in a room, and critique an outfit or a wardrobe was all in all fascinating to me. I often joked about how in my career my dream would to be the next Joan Rivers. It's sad to think I'm still in school, and someone else will fill her spot.

Now, say what you will about her, but she changed the fashion industry.  When her and daughter, Melissa would first interview the red carpet, they were the first hosts to ask "who are you wearing?"  This is a tradition of award shows we don't think twice about anymore. Every actress knows who made her dress and what line it comes from.  At the time of Joan and Melissa's rise, they stumped many starlets because they simply just picked a pretty dress without thinking. They helped give these poor designers some much needed credit.

When I found out about Joan's passing, I went on a fifteen minute break at work. It was almost a week ago now.  I decided to not sit in the break-room that day and to sit in my car.  I opened twitter and the first tweet was from Miss Khloe Kardashian stating RIP Joan Rivers and a link to an instagram post. I was stunned. I didn't believe it. I refreshed my page and saw the tweets flooding in about her passing and the mourning of many celebrities. I remember not having words and barely being able to keep my eyes dry. I recognize that Joan was 81, but the day prior to her surgery mishap, she preformed a stand-up show. The woman was fine and business was continuing as usual.


With a heavy heart,
Much Love,
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment